Monday, April 19, 2010

"Sweet Fix"

Thursday is Earthday, I thought I would share a "re-use" of a rum bottle that made me smile, while visiting the Grafton Reserve in Tobago. The bottle is refilled (after washing) with sugar solution and a small hole is made in the cap, add a wire perch and it's ready to go. The most abundant birds at the feeder were Bananaquits. I really enjoy these little yellow 'bandits', they are curious, feisty, and plentiful. They seem to live life on a high, constantly in search of more sweets (anything from nectar to fruit). Considering rum is made from sugar cane, it is a fitting dispenser for the "sweet fix".

Other birds of interest I had seen during my short visit to Grafton were, Rufous-tailed Jacamars, Blue-backed Manakin, Blue-crowned Motmots, a variety of Doves, and Cocrico, which is the Tobago national bird .

Photo © Beatrice Bork

No comments:

Post a Comment