Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What we're 2 months into 2012 already?!


I'm a little behind on blogging, because I’ve been in Trinidad, and plainly just finally starting to catch-up. So, Happy Belated New Year everyone!

I began the year in Trinidad, really nice, beautiful, lush foliage, birds and wildlife, friendly people and nothing compares to the balmy warmth of a tropical island. I spent most of my time in Arima, with excursions to places a little more “wild”. I spent time in town and visiting the market—it’s a hussling bussling place with friendly people selling some really wonderful produce and other market items. I even took in a Carnival kick-off concert. (I have yet to be there for Carnival, I hear it’s spectacular, seeing it once might be nice).

Arima Market

Carnival Kick-off, Arima

I also spent a little time in the valley parallel to the Arima, in Lopinot. The birding isn’t quite as easy as sitting on the veranda at Asa Wright, but the area is lush and green and every sighting becomes even more of an accomplishment.

Rainforest near Lopinot

 It’s actually quite easy to bird nearly anywhere in Trinidad, they have over 400 species. Right in town I saw and heard several species from the house: Palm Tanagers, Kiskadees, Bananaquits, Bare-eyed Thrush, Tropical Mockingbirds, Tropical Wrens, Yellow Orioles, Pygmy Owls, Oropendula, Blue Tanangers, Ruddy Doves, Peppershrikes and more.

Bare-eyed Thrush
 So, the beginning of this year was as great as the end of last year, I’m a little low on paintings, but not short on ideas! I worked on several sketches and have yet more research for future paintings, not to mention a few other creations I’ve been contemplating and sketching closer to home.

Photos and Content © Beatrice Bork

No comments:

Post a Comment