Wednesday, August 18, 2010

"Yes, this is what I do for a living..."

Many people ask me if art is the "only" thing I do for a living. I am a self-employed artist, and have been for a very long time.

I studied graphic design, because I knew I wanted to be in the field of art, and my parents gently steered me away from being "just a painter", after college I started a graphic design business with a friend and it lasted 7 years, ending in 1996. At that point I had been doing both fine art and graphic design and started gearing myself more towards fine art. Being your own boss gave me time to paint. I used to joke that I had 2 full time jobs.

In 2001 I was accepted by jury into the Society of Animal Artists (SAA), and, I believe, 4 years later was elevated to a signature member, which is a very high honor... this is a group dedicated to animal art, and has membership from around the world.

I am fortunate that my artwork resonates with people that I can continue to pursue my artistic career. I am proud to say that my passion has never altered by outside influences on what art is, or should be. To me art is an expression of self, and personally I have much fulfillment from my surroundings.

"Virtuoso" Carolina Wren, watercolor © Beatrice Bork. The first piece accepted to a Society of Animal Artist show at Hiram Blauvelt Museum in NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment