Monday, February 15, 2010

Trinidad: part 3: People and Culture


Trinidad and Tobago are a twin island nation, being occupied by Spanish, French, English and by 1962 finally became an independent nation. It is very diverse culturally, with the majority of the people having an Indian or African ancestry. There is a wide variety of religion practiced here from Catholic to Hindu to Muslim to Rastafarian and more, although I'm sure there are differences in opinions, they seem to make it work. For more history and other info., click here.

I find the people here wonderful, most will greet you with a Good Morning, (or Good Day, Afternoon, Evening or Night, sometimes I get confused as to which occurs at what time). The language is English, with their own unique Caribbean twist, with a lovely melodic flow, easy to listen to. When speaking quickly I admit to not totally understanding, but the more I visit the easier it is. Click here for a link to a trini dictionary.

Trinidad is very well known for Carnival, and Calypso music, I am partial to Soca. I was pleased to see a steel pan performance on my recent trip as they were competing for the upcoming Carnival. It is said that steel pan originated in Trinidad, starting with African Drums, that were outlawed by the occupiers, then came "Tamboo bamboo" a sort of drum constructed with bamboo, then the steel drums made from barrels, and in time crafted into the beautiful musical instruments used today. Nothing is quite like steel pan!

Happy Carnival!

Photo of "Arima Allstars" at competition this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment