Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Gearing up for Trinidad!


In 2004 I was the second person given the Don Eckelberry Award for my achievements in bird art. I was awarded a trip to see the splendor of nature, particularly the birds, at the Asa Wright Nature Center in Trinidad. I travelled there in March 2005, and my senses were immediately overloaded with so much color, so many birds, and plants it was just amazing, and I knew from the first day that one trip would simply not be enough. Trinidad and its sister island of Tobago are the last in the string of Caribbean islands, with Trinidad being 7 miles from Venezuela. While each trip always consists of bird watching I have grown to really appreciate all aspects of the country. Truly a wonderful country from rainforest to beaches to their friendly people, rich culture and food!

As I write I am planning my next adventure there, I have some ideas that I'd like to explore and I'm also looking forward to the inspiration that comes from just being there. When I paint it is important for me to not only paint what I see, but express the character of what I am painting, so it is vital to observe and understand my subject matter, to portray a fuller experience.

"National Treasure" Scarlet Ibis (Trinidad's National Bird) © Beatrice Bork

2 comments:

  1. a scarlet ibis?! gorgeous...never knew nature created such a color on such a shape. I love your calendar that Carolyn gave to me. thank you, Beatrice for sharing such beauty.
    Valerie

    ps I don't know how to answer the "profile"
    anon works wo filling something in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Valerie, I'm so glad you are enjoying the calendar, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete