Monday, June 29, 2009

Bird geek

Birding is a pastime I really enjoy, it not only inspires my painting, but also can be exciting. Nothing perks up an outing more than identifying a bird that I haven't seen in a long time, or a new behavior, or better yet something totally brand new. I think the appeal is sort of in the same realm as collectables, only I end up with some photos, observations/memories and some sketches if I get a long enough look.

All you need to start with is a bird book, and keen vision and/or binoculars. Be warned, it can be addictive, and accessories are abundant... Hiking boots, hats, cargo pants and/or vests and backpacks—to hold more books, birding lists, pencils, sun tan lotion, bug lotion, better and more expensive binoculars (with harness as to not strain your neck), cameras with monster zoom lenses, scopes, tripods, tape recorders, flash lights, and night vision accessories, and more! Result: an outfit that gives a fashion designer the heebee-jeebees, and a chiropractors dream patient.

Personally, I stay as lightweight as possible, I'm more into the observation than actually keeping a life list. I carry mini-bins, a point and shoot (with a great zoom), a sketch book, pencil and portable watercolor set, which all fits into a small backpack and, if I remember, bird book--as small as possible.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a long lens can cause serious shoulder discomfort. And yet I love the use of a long lens for bird work.

    ReplyDelete